About the Position
TYPE OF JOB: Full time
LOCATION: Flexible; preference will be given to candidates who are located near or willing to relocate to the Washington, DC Metro Area
About Calvert Impact Capital
Calvert Impact Capital uses investment capital to create a more equitable and sustainable world. Through our products and services, we raise capital from individual and institutional investors to finance intermediaries and funds that are investing in communities left out of traditional capital markets. During our 27-year history, we have mobilized $3 billion of investor capital that has fueled loans and investments into over 100 countries and nine impact sectors.
Calvert Impact Capital is a subsidiary of the newly formed CIC Global Impact, Inc. (CICGI), aa mission-aligned nonprofit created to expand our products and services. We are excited to leverage this new corporate structure to continue to innovate and grow our work in pursuit of our mission.
The Strategy team at Calvert Impact Capital has a broad mandate to drive the overall strategic direction of the organization, test new ideas and partnerships, and develop new financial products and services. Over the last five years, the Strategy team has developed and launched a Loan Syndications business that has structured and arranged over 20 credit facilities focused on a broad range of impact sectors, bringing more than $500 million into the market. The team is also in the process of structuring two new products that will enable us to bring the capital markets closer to the communities we serve – one focused on addressing the urgency of climate change and another focused on reducing credit gaps for under-banked small businesses across the U.S. We are also developing a pipeline of additional products that we will be researching and evaluating over the next 3-5 years. The team is seeking an Officer to support and drive core pieces of this work.
The role requires someone who enjoys and has experience with financial analysis, financial structuring (ideally in the credit markets), investor engagement, and broad partner management and who has superb organizational and project management skills. The Strategy Officer should be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and be passionate about using traditional and innovative financial tools to address chronic social and environmental challenges. The Strategy Officer must also be strongly committed to the mission of Calvert Impact Capital and feel comfortable in a flat, entrepreneurial, and supportive organizational culture.
This position will report to the Vice President of Strategy and will work across the Strategy Team and organization, coordinating closely with members of the Legal, Investments, Investor Relations, Operations, and Executive teams. This is a terrific opportunity for someone interested in joining an established but innovative organization dedicated to changing the capital markets in pursuit of a more equitable economy and sustainable planet.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Market Research and Analysis:
- Conduct market research to identify opportunities for new products and services
- Coordinate with the Investments and Investor Relations teams to understand gaps between the supply and demand for capital; develop hypotheses and potential structures to address gaps
- Attend industry conferences and events to keep apprised of market evolution and growth
- Build financial models for new product opportunities (including asset-backed structures, credit strategies, GP/LP funds, etc.)
- Manage and update existing financial models for new products already in the pipeline
- Support existing and potential future syndicated transactions by generating diligence materials (information memoranda, financial models, term sheets), conducting outreach to potential co-lenders, supporting documentation review, and driving towards transaction closings
- Manage and organize the network of co-lenders (300+ institutional investors interested in impact deals)
- Support operational planning and execution for new products, including systems set-up and integration, reporting , and coordination across internal teams
- Provide asset management support for new portfolio strategies
- Be a positive contributor to our high-performing, self-starting, no-ego, mission-driven culture
- Engage with colleagues on the team and across the organization on special projects as needed
- Be flexible and responsive to new opportunities as they arise
The ideal candidate:
- Is passionate about the mission and work of Calvert Impact Capital and our commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Has at least 5 years of experience working in a role focused on financial and market analysis, ideally in the credit markets (for example, investment banking, consulting, asset management); multi-asset class experience is welcome
- Has experience executing financial transactions in the private markets
- Has a customer service orientation (respectful, responsive) in all aspects of work, including with internal and external people and partners
- Equally enjoys diving deep into an excel model, developing pitch decks, and managing relationships with a broad network of internal and external partners
- Is proficient in Excel and PowerPoint and is systems-minded
- Is intellectually curious, combined with a good sense of humor, high integrity, and team orientation (“We” vs “I” mentality)
- Is fluent in English and is an effective and respectful communicator (both oral and written) and listener
- Has a positive, “can-do” attitude focused on implementing solutions
- Is willing to travel 10-20% of the time, depending on when in-person meetings and conferences resume post-pandemic (mostly US travel)
- Has an undergraduate degree and/or graduate degree focused on business, economics, finance, accounting, engineering, or something completely different
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Strategy Officer Position'” in the email subject line. No phone inquiries please.